The Big Leap

Thursday, April 12, 2018


I read a book called The Big Leap which was recommended to me from my therapist.  Its pretty impressive because I am the most noncommittal reader I know.  I start something, then fall asleep or would rather catch up on mindless Real Housewives crap or binge watch Stranger Things with my husband.  Where do people find time to read? Do you all plop yourselves on the couch midday, surrounded by laundry and toys and just cruise? I don't know how this works.  There is always a village at my house.  Play dates, nannies, visitors, kids.  The hours alone seem stuck between errands and household duties and the like.  I really only find the time to blog when I force myself to sit down, and no one is in my face or actually in my house or awake for that matter. 

Anyways, this book is really mind bowing and I can't let it leave my bedside table because I really don't want to forget the experience that's in it!  It talks about figuring out what your true, deep down ultimate talents are, your "Zone of Genius" as he calls it, and how to pursue them and not let them go.  Its actually up to you if you let them go, but the idea is to go deep enough that you can't deny what fuels you and enlivens you, and to run with it.  I am a known procrastinator.  Mostly if you ask my husband.  I always have notes all over my desk and piles and lists of stupid shit I really need to handle but don't.  I feel kind of bad about that, but the real problem is the to-do list for my soul.  For the last 4 years I've been avoiding myself because I feel like I haven't had the time to do anything for me.  I have a great social calendar and hell yeah I keep up with all my mani/pedi, eyelash and tan appointments, but I do a poor job of feeding my soul.  I think that's why I restarted my blog.  I feel like If I have a voice out there, and someone is hearing it, I'm held accountable to keep speaking.  I feel like there are a lot of creative talents in me, but not one that feels important enough to hone in on. 

Catering is way too time consuming and involves weekends and evenings. Nope.
Styling is too daunting and there are so many more fashion-forward people than me out there. Nope.
Music is my soul, but I have zero experience in the music industry and I don't want to just be an admin at a recording studio or record label.  I'm not organized enough anyway.  I can't keep my desk clean. Ever.

So what do you do with this? Do it all? Write about it and take pictures of it? Maybe.

I do know I enjoy making people laugh. I enjoy live music immensely.  I love making someone a hand crafted artisanal cocktail and seeing their face when I know I've nailed it.  I love cooking and taking care of people and having them in my home.  I love creating the most perfect ambiance with music, lighting, decor, food and drinks.  I love putting my favorite, most interesting people with all their different personalities in a room and seeing what happens.  I like the joy of a party from start to finish, being surrounded by great people, making them laugh and having them feel full and happy.  I don't know how that translates into what my path is but I suppose I'll keep doing it and documenting it until I do. While I'm on my journey, join me.  Maybe you'll figure out your zone of genius too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment