Nutritious, Detoxifying ...Cocktails

Tuesday, February 13, 2018
So, you failed a juice cleanse and you have about 4 bottles left at $12/bottle.  Its kind of wasted calories to just guzzle them if you're going to eat too, so why not go from fail to FAB and get your mixology on? No need to grate ginger or squeeze lemons, its already in there. 

I mean if you're going to have a cocktail, why not juice while your doing it and detox while you re-tox?

So I was weirdly craving a Cosmo, which I used to pound with a vengence when I was 29, but that's not really the rage nowadays.  Its all about the updated white rye Sazerac and the Vesper, but not the Cosmo OR the apple martini anymore.

Anyways, I couldn't get the tart cranberry/lime/triple sec craving out of my head, so I set to work with the ingredients I had at hand.  No cranberry juice and no lime, but I did have lemon, a leftover beet liver cleanse beverage (how apropos!) and of course triple sec, Campari and vodka. 

Beet Cosmo

1.5 oz Vodka (I like Russian Standard & Beluga)
1 -1.5 oz triple sec (depending on how sweet you like it)
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz beet juice
Splash of Campari
lemon twist for garnish

Shake all ingredients in a martini shaker filled to the top with ice.  rub rim with lemon twist and drop in martini glass whilst pouring cocktail. 

Voile.


Spicy Skinny Ginger Lime Margarita

1.5 oz Tequila (I like Don Julio Blanco for mixing, Anejo for more booz-forward or neat
1oz to .5 oz Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec depending how sweet you like it
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/2 lemon squeezed
Few big splashes of Nektar Ginger Lime Skinny Lemonde or whatever similar taste profile juice you have laying around
lime wheels for garnish

Shake it all up in a martini shaker with ice.  Prepare to get skinnier with every sip.



Charcoal Beet 

Now this is a fascinating one.  I have Charcoal pills lying around because a friend recommended  I take them for digestion improvement, general gut health and the like.  When I saw the Black Betty cocktail featured on Liquor.com using them, I had to try it.  This one is adapted.  Note the lack of phone and pretty crimson dust on top.  I will perfect this one, and check in again at another time to let you know my progress ;) I did add Aronia berry concentrate, which we always have around.  Similar to Acai but more immune-strengthening.

1.5 oz Tequila 
1.5 oz beet juice
1/2 a lime, juiced
1/2 oz Orgeat Almond syrup
1/2 tsp activated charcoal, taken out of a capsule
(this like an immunity Superhero! Like elderberry syrup on crack, although that will work too or any berry syrup
1 tsp Agave (because the berry syrup is not sweet at all)
Egg white (optional)

Put all ingredients in the blender until nice and foamy, then add a large ice cube.  

Note my version is not foamy because we didn't have egg whites, but I recommend it for the extra punch of protein.  We are talking healthy cocktails, here.


And that concludes your cleanse for the week, or weekend rather.  Go forward feeling confident you are doing your body a favor.  You're welcome.


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm a huge fan of 1942, it's a super soft and smooth drink. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete